Thursday, February 21, 2013

I just realized I never posted about my trip to London! I promise one day I will do write about all of that. But this is not that post. The other day someone I work with noticed I got my haircut, which is always satisfying. However, she then followed it up with "did you cut your bangs yourself?" Which is not quite so satisfying. After several days of compulsively smoothing my bangs I decided two things.
First: my bangs are awesome, okay. Awesome.
Secondly, there are some questions polite people don't ask other people. But obviously some people haven't quite grasped that concept. And what is this blog for, if not to educate and enlighten?
So, then. Let's review.

Amanda's Top Three Things 
You Should Never Say To A Stranger/Acquaintance.


"When is the baby due?" You know what? Let's just get this one out of the way first. I'm not even going to include it as one of the three. Why are people still doing this? If you're still asking strangers/vague acquaintances/anyone anything about the pregnancy you're sure they're right in the middle of, this list isn't for you. It's too advanced for you. You need to go back to Social Interactions 101 - the remedial level.

  1. "You look tired/sick." Nothing says "Hey, you look like crap!" quite like asking someone if they're tired.
  2. "Did you cut your hair yourself/Make that yourself?" Because it's awful! What did you use, a weed whacker? The truth is if someone did do something themselves that they would normally pay a professional to do they will probably be so proud that they bring it up themselves. "Did you notice my bracelet? I made it out of Popsicle sticks and dental floss. Saw it on Pinterest."
  3. "When are you going to get married?" Or the married version: "When are you going to have kids?" This question just gets to me every time. Well, I got three separate proposals this week but I thought I'd wait and see what else is coming along. The answer to this question is basically "when the time is right." No, wait. The answer to that question is basically "Mind your own business. Please." People don't live their life on your timetable. The pregnancy thing is even trickier. Some people would love to be pregnant but are having trouble conceiving or already know that they just can't conceive. It's a painful subject and couples shouldn't be forced to discuss it for the sake of curiosity or worse, just to make idle conversation. Some people have already decided that kids just aren't for them. Bottom line: unless you're immediate family and asking about when you're going to get grandkids or nieces and nephews - Don't Ask.



    When all else fails, remember the words of the Fresh Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment