Friday, February 22, 2013


TitleThe Girl's Guide to Hunting & Fishing 
Author: Melissa Banks
Recommended by: Rhiannon McClure

This book is hailed as the beginning of the so-called "Chick-Lit" genre. (Don't even get me started on the term chick-lit.)  It may have sparked that genre, but it is so much more than what Chick-Lit has come to mean. It's a collection of short stories in the same universe and mostly centered around Jane. She is witty and  a little broken and very, very real. On the surface, it's about Jane's relationships with her family and her boyfriends (and, in one story, her neighbors) but what this book is really about is how Jane relates to herself. 

Bottom Line: I don't know that I would recommend this book to everyone. It's very good and I liked it quite a bit, but I know that the style isn't for everyone. I would, however, recommend the last chapter to everyone. It is fantastic view of what happens when you listen to others instead of yourself (even if 'others' here means the authors of a self-help book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment