Sunday, January 16, 2011

More Introductory post fun! The same art teacher that asked about pets has now asked "What is your favorite and least favorite word." I made something up because I didn't want to sound like I was making something up. My favorite word (right now) is onomatopoeia, because it's super fun to say. And it's a long complicated word for a seriously simple concept. But unless you know me it sounds like I just picked a word out of the dictionary. So because I'd just finished watching the end of Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightley one) I chose incandescent. Also fun to say. And for some reason it makes me think of candles in mason jars.

I also couldn't say my actual least favorite word because it's not fit for polite company, though most people don't realize it. Let's just say it's a commonly used slang for breast. And starts with a T. I just hate the word. I hate the way it sounds and it has always seemed somehow slightly derogatory. Like it's shameful. I don't know, okay, it's a thing for me.
Anyway. Can't put that in a classroom discussion board. So, I choose the word squelch. Because, c'mon. It sounds gross. Nothing good ever squelches.

So I posted these words and slightly toned down reasons why I liked them. And what do my classmates choose? Hate because "no one should every use that word" and taxes. And the favorites? Love and freedom. Clearly I overthought this.

1 comment:

  1. that is hilarious! i don't think you overthought the assignment at all.... i think you took it at face value and thought about the WORDS themselves. the answers like 'love' and 'hate' are not about the words, but about the meanings. those people will fail the class. i'm sure of it.
    and i'm with you on squelch. i've always hated the word, myself. that and another word to describe a female body part. it starts with c. that's all i'm going to say about that.
    i think my favorite word is luscious. probably because it makes me think of peaches. and i love peaches. :)

    ReplyDelete