Wednesday, January 05, 2011

OVERHEARD AT WORK TODAY: "Yeah, that's where the super mutants were hanging out. Too bad I only had my machete."

I sincerely hope they were talking about a video game. What with the birds falling out of the sky and the dead fish, supermutants sounds like the next step. ...well, maybe you'd have to skip a few steps but it's definitely down the line!

...anyway.

Time to talk about another part of the list that I've accomplished! I have to admit this one has been my favorite so far - #67 Visit Washington DC. In September Courtney and I met up in Maryland and spent 2 full days in Washington, DC. It was so much fun. Seriously, it was just so awesome. I don't think I've walked that much in such a short time before. There were so many things to see - everything was so much bigger in person. And, of course, because it was me and Courtney we spent most of the time laughing.
...except for that last day when I got a little cranky. (sorry, Court)

First came the ride on the Metro, where we sat across from a homeless guy taking a nap. I felt very grownup. :) I loved the Metro, it was remarkably clean. I think if it was in Shreveport, it would have been kind of disgusting. I definitely liked it better than driving everywhere. Riding the Metro counts as #84: riding public transportation.
Also being checked off the public transportation: a bus! Not just any bus - a double decker bus. We sat on the top level, of course. We made friends with other passengers and danced to the music from the cars on the road.

Best part about the top level? You can take pictures of the all the cool stuff without actually getting off the bus.
This is a picture of an awesome statue thingy right outside Union Station where we caught the bus. In the background you can see a bus similar to the one we were on at the time.



First stop was the Library of Congress. (otherwise knows as The Mothership)
.
We didn't get to actually see any books up close, but we peered through the window - like hungry orphans looking in a restaurant in a Dickens novel. ...not that we were hungry. Or orphans. Or that ever happened in a Dickens novel. We did get a great picture through the glass



Okay, I have loads more pictures. That's just the first stop, after all. But I'm very tired. And I have 27 more days to fill this month.

2 comments:

  1. It was a long day walking and after all, you had a collapsed lung earlier in the day at Arlington (hehehe). It was super fun though!!! Next trip in a year and a half...wait for it...LONDON!! More walking and double decker buses to be sure!

    ReplyDelete