Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Okay. Let me just start by asking do you have any idea how many things a knee can bump into or even just brush up against during a day? Lots, okay? Lots of things. Beginning and ending with pants legs. I learned this first hand today. The bruise has turned a lovely shade of purple, somewhere in the eggplant family. I'd post a picture but they don't really do it justice. And my legs are pasty white a lovely alabaster.

I'm feeling really tired and beat up, not only because I'm still sore from falling but also because I donated blood today. I like to give blood because it's an easy, quick way to feel like I'm helping. But there was a new girl. Which should really say it all, but you miss out on some funny jokes that way. So, she's new. And she's nervous. And she's trying to take my blood pressure, but has the cuff practically on my shoulder blade. My arms aren't exactly rail thin here, so you're not helping anyone if you try to wrap that thing around the biggest part. So she attempts to take my blood pressure 4 times (that's 2 on each arm for those following along at home) and still can't do it. Meanwhile, I'm seeing spots and my fingers are tingling because the cuff gets so tight. There's also tiny little red dots on the insides of my elbows. And this is all before the needles come out. Finally she asks for help and a new person comes and repositions the cuff on the correct place on my arm and gets a reading the first time. Amazing. At least they didn't have the new girl sticking people.
The girl who did actually puncture me was very nice but used 2 swabs of that iodine stuff on the inside of my elbow. It was dripping down the side of my arm. Lovely. Then I guess she had a little trouble keeping her eye on the vein because she flipped the cylindrical swab stick around and pressed down on my arm until there was a tiny circular indention (in my skin!) to "mark her place." I almost walked out. But after the whole blood pressure thing, and then my iron actually being high enough to donate I felt obligated to stay. Plus they had me in that reclining chair thing and those things are really quite comfy.
Then, because apparently the lite rock power ballad playing on the radio reminded her of it somehow, she showed us her vacation pictures. Well, just the one, really. That she was very proud of. She was lying on the beach in a deck chair and took a picture of the beach from that point of view. So you see her legs stretched out and her feet. It really was kind of neat, but she showed it to every single person on the bus and kept saying, "doesn't it look like a corona commercial?" I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to strap someone to a chair, stick a needle in them and then show them your vacation pictures on top of everything.

Add in the fact there was a burst pipe or something at work and the downstairs offices (where I've just relocated) were starting to flood and my day was awesome.

How was yours?

1 comment:

  1. I told you you'd be sore...that's the not so funny part. I don't usually give blood...actually I never give blood. It takes forever just to get blood drawn for the normal yearly tests, it seems my veins hide then when they find them and get the needle in, 4 out of 5 times the blood just won't come out quickly. Most of the time they have to hold the needle in a certain position then it goes downhill from there.

    Anyway, my day was good...Kim Clijsters won her quarterfinal match so that was exciting. I haven't been sleeping good lately, always tired, my eyes hurt and I have headaches a lot since starting the D2 vitamin stuff. It's a high dosage so it's one a week for 8 weeks; it seems I have a vitamin D deficiency. Hey, Steph...if you're reading can taking such high dosages of vitamin D2 cause sleep issues and headaches? It's really getting old...but at least I'm 6 weeks in...

    ReplyDelete